Aging feet come with many issues and demands, as well as much wear and tear from carrying you for all these years.
The best footwear for older feet is crucial, especially when it comes to walking shoes.
So in this article, we will look at some of the best brands and shoe models for walking that are perfect for seniors.
Why do Seniors Need the Right Walking Shoes
Seniors need the right Walking shoes for quite a few reasons;
- Balance Issues – As you get older, your ability to balance reduces. A good stability walking shoe helps with balance and provides good structured support.
- Diabetes and Neuropathy – These conditions cam cases foot problems that require a shoe that is gentle and non-abrasive against the skin, while still protecting your feet from punctures and bumps.
- Gait Changes – Changing in Gait caused by Arthritis and other conditions can cause limping and place pressure on various areas of the foot. The right shoe will provide comfort and support to reduce the pressure and correct Gait issues.
- Foot Deformities – Issues such as Corns, callouses, hammertoes, and Bunions are all prevalent in older persons. A roomy and well-fitting walking shoe reduces pressure on these painful areas and provides a comfortable fit.
- Swelling – Swelling is also an issue in many elderly persons. The uppers of a good walking shoe should be soft and flexible enough with a roomy fit to accommodate swelling.
How to Choose Walking Shoes for Seniors
Therefore when choosing the best shoes for a senior, you need to consider these features;
- Protective Interior and Cushioning – A soft seamless interior lining prevents friction against fragile skin. A cushioned insole and Shock Absorbing midsole reduces the impact on the feet and provides a comfortable walking platform.
- Extra Depth and Roomy Toe Box – When you have foot deformities or feet that tend to swell, a roomy toe box, and extra depth allows for less pressure and more room for comfort.
- Low Heels – A lower Heel design provides better balance and support for elderly persons and reduces the risks of injuries.
- Slip Resistant Sole – A slip resistant sole will prevent slips and flaas, which can be very dangerous for senior individuals.
Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Seniors
- Uppers – Most elderly persons may struggle with certain foot deformities such as bunions, or hammertoes, swollen feet, or just fragile feet. Therefore the uppers need to be soft and gentle against the feet, almost seamless as well as flexible with a roomy toe box. Mesh and leather are good options with this in mind.
- Footbed and Insole – Comfort is essential, and you need maximum cushioning in the footbed and insole with a contoured and supportive design. Some models offer removable footbeds or insoles, which allow the person to use their own orthotic devices.
- Midsole – The midsole should offer soft and shock-absorbing cushioning that is also still lightweight.
- Outsole – For the outsole, durable rubber is ideal, with a more lug pattern for slip resistance and traction.
- Other Features – Other features may include stability technology such as a heel counter, a roomy toe box, or wide widths options, as well as more color options available.
Reviews: The Best Walking Shoes for Seniors
These are some very comfortable and reliable Walking shoe brands and models, especially for older adults and seniors;
Walking Shoes for Seniors
- The Soft and flexible uppers are ideal for foot conditions such as hammertoes and other deformities.
- There are also wider widths and more color options available.
- The sole is cushioned with ABZORB shock absorbency technology and an ACTEVA midsole.
- There is a soft and comfortable NB insert and lining to wick away moisture.
- The lug rubber outsole provides exceptional traction and slips resistance.
Hook and Loop Senior’s Walking Shoe
- The Upper is a breathable mesh and synthetic materials that are lightweight and comfortable.
- The Velcro strap Closure is easier to use for seniors who struggle with laces.
- Inside is a comfortable extra volume design cushioned insole system.
- The footbed is removable so that you can use your own orthotics.
- The outsole is a durable and high traction rubber.
- You can also choose from a few neutral color options available.
Slip On Walking Shoe for Seniors
- The Upper is a soft and air mesh, with wider widths and more colors available.
- Inside is a comfortable Air Cooled Goga Mat Insole.
- The High Rebound Comfort Pillar Technology and Ultra GO Cushioning in the midsole and insole provides excellent shock absorbency and lightweight cushioning.
- The rubber sole is durable and offers excellent stability.
Walking Shoe for Seniors
- The shoe is ideal for everyday walking and comes in wider widths and extended size options, as well as more colors.
- The Fresh Foam midsole is very soft and cushioning alongside the NB insole.
- There are Hypoknit Upper that offers better support and flex where you need it.
- A Moldeed External Heel Counter ensures better motion control and stability.
- Other than that, there is a thick and durable rubber outsole.
Senior’s Walking Shoe
- The design has extra depth and roomy toe box to accommodate swollen feet and other foot conditions.
- Inside are removable layers of cushioning allowing you the use of your own orthotics.
- The footbed is contoured and ergonomic in shape for optimal support and cushioning.
- The outsole offers good traction and slip resistance.
Walking Sandal for Seniors
- The uppers are a soft and lightweight fabric with a bungee lace-up system for a secure fit.
- Inside is an EVA footbed and midsole for cushioning and comfort.
- There is also a durable and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Furthermore, you can choose from a few available color options.
Index Table: Top Rated Walking Shoes for Seniors
|No.||Product||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Walking Shoes for Seniors||680V6||680V6||New Balance||98.5|
|2||Propet® - Hook and Loop Senior’s Walking Shoe||Stability X Strap||Stability X Strap||Propet||98|
|3||Skechers® - Slip On Walking Shoe for Seniors||Go Walk 5||Go Walk 5||Skechers||97.8|
|4||New Balance® - Walking Shoe for Seniors||880V10||880V10||New Balance||97.5|
|5||Orthofeet® - Senior’s Walking Shoe||Monterey Bay||Breeze||Orthofeet||97|
|6||Dream Pairs® - Walking Sandal for Seniors||Adventurous||Adventurous||Dream Pairs||97.4|
Table of Contents
- Why do Seniors Need the Right Walking Shoes
- How to Choose Walking Shoes for Seniors
- Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Walking Shoes for Seniors
- Walking Shoes for Seniors
- Hook and Loop Senior’s Walking Shoe
- Slip On Walking Shoe for Seniors
- Walking Shoe for Seniors
- Senior’s Walking Shoe
- Walking Sandal for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Walking Shoes for Seniors