When seniors become more unstable and unbalanced on their feet, or mobility becomes an issue, it may be time to look at the best walkers for Seniors.
A walker can help an older person still stay mobile, and perform activities they need to with extra stability and help. Those who are not stable on their feet may suffer from frequent falls, and imbalance will greatly benefit a sturdy walker.
Why Invest in a Walker for Seniors
Acknowledging that you need a walker’s assistance may not be an easy thing to deal with, and then there is also the case of the multiple options available, choosing what to get quite difficult.
Walkers can help with many issues when you get older and may become a necessity for a few reasons;
- Imobility – Using a walker to walk and get around maybe a much healthier and better option than remaining sedentary or in your seat all day. It gives you much more freedom to get around and fight the depression that may also come from sitting in your house every day.
- Balance Issues – For persons who are still mobile but struggle with balance and stability, the walker can provide an extra bit of assistance to prevent you from falling and suffering and injury.
- Excercise – A walker is a good means of exercise for seniors who can no longer walk by themselves or who are instead or laying down position all day. It can be used as a device for stretching and exercising, even if walking a few steps, to improve seniors’ health, flexibility, and strength.
- Rubber Feet or Wheeled Options – Another thing that makes walkers so ideal is that you can choose between a rubber leg option that you lift and place down when walking or a wheeled option that can be pushed.
How to Use and Maintain Your Walker
Using a walker may take some time to get accustomed to you as soon as you have chosen a walker that works well personally.
Here are a few tips that you can follow;
- Customizing Your Walker – make sure that the Walker you invest in is adjustable, especially in its height. The Top of your Walker must line up with your wrists when your arms are at your sides to keep a proper posture and prevent lurching or hunching over the walker. Keep your arms slightly bent so that they are at a comfortable angle for you. This is the correct height. Some models will also allow you to set the width at your level of comfort.
- How to Use a Walker Safely – In the Video, you will see step by step how to use a walker safely. A good start is to have your walker at the correct, safe, and comfortable height. Some walkers require that you push them forward, such as the wheeled options. Others have to be lifted slightly and placed forward. Ensure you stay upright when walking to prevent hunching your back and hold the walker still and secure as you move forward one leg after the other. Take smaller steps when turning and be careful with turns, as here is where most accidents occur.
- Maintaining Your Walker – firstly, keep your walker clean by wiping it down regularly and cleaning the handles. Could you keep it in a safe and dry place? Make sure to replace any worn-out and damaged parts immediately and check the wheels and feet for replacement as soon as they become too smooth.
Features of a Good Walker for Seniors
- Type Of Walker – You will see there are three walker options, the standard rubber leg option that you lift, a two-wheeled option that you push, and the more advanced Rollator option that has four wheels.
- Materails – Look for a durable metal frame such as aluminium that is sturdy and durable. Rubber and plastic or foam can be used for the handles and rubber for the feet.
- Wheel Options – Wheels come in normal design-forward wheels and swiveling options which are lockable. There should also be a proper brake system for wheeled option walkers.
- Foldable – Some designs can be folded for portability and storage.
Reviews: The Best Walkers for Seniors
These are some of the best available brands and models of Walkers ideal for seniors and elderly persons;
The Drive Medical Walker has a Rollator and compact collapsible design that is sturdy and easy to use for seniors.
- The Design easily collapses into an ultra-compact size with a one-hand pulling seat grip and bringing sides together.
- The design is a walker, Rollator, and seat all in one that covers all your needs.
- The Nylon seat is very comfortable and durable, as well as fully adjustable.
- There are large front wheels to increase your turning radius, as well as s sleek removable zipper bag for added storage.
- The hand bars are durable and offer a better grip with an ergonomic shape and easy-grip materails.
Another compact and foldable option from Drive Medical is their Deluxe lightweight walker for senior individuals.
- The Drive Medical is a Foldable Walker with Wheels.
- There are Vinyl contoured hand grips for easy grip and comfort,
- Each side will operate independently, allowing much easier movement through more narrow spaces.
- The new rear glide cap designs allow the walker to easily and smoothly slide over most surfaces.
- The aluminum frame base is also very sturdy and durable.
We have an all-in-one lightweight and foldable walker and chair for elderly persons from Oasis Space.
- A compact design that folds neatly, and the front wheels are removable for storage.
- The Wheeled Rollator and Walker design have a wider seat and much larger wheels for better stability and security.
- It comes with a bicycle-type braking system for security and safety.
- The paint is baked on the surface of the aluminum frame for added durability and rust resistance.
The Nova design is ideal for ladies because of its smaller and narrow size. It also has a seat and collapsible design that is very lightweight.
- The Nova comes in classic Junior and Petite size options for ladies and gents.
- The Nova is a Rollator and walker all in one that is very lightweight,
- The seat is fully adjustable in height and very comfortable,
- The frame has a more narrow and lightweight design that is still very durable and long-lasting.
- You can get the Stander EZ in a few more color options for the frame.
- It can fold four times smaller than its original size for portability and easy storage in small spaces.
- The walker also has a Rollator design with six-inch sized wheels and locking swivel wheels for your choice.
- The Easy Glide Feet will maneuver easily and smoothly over all types of surfaces.
- The handles’ height is fully adjustable, and the handles have a comfortable and ergonomic design.
- The frame is very durable and can support a weight of up to 400lb.
The Able Life Compact and Foldable Walker are very lightweight and ideal to have limited space available.
- The Able Life Space-saving design is small and compact as well as foldable for easy storage.
- The frame is sturdy enough to support 400lbs in weight, and the handles have an ergonomic design in durable materails.
- The fixed front wheels provide stability and security when walking, and there are locking swivel wheels that you can choose.
- The design is narrow and elegant, as well as self-standing and durable.
The Roami Progressive Walker is self-adjusting and ideal for walking up and downstairs and ramps.
- The Roami is a 3 in one mobility aid.
- It is a walker, rollator with wheels, and a stair assistant all in one.
- The height is fully adjustable, and there are also a few color options available.
- The frame is durable, and the handles are easy to grip and use.
The Medline is a walker and rollator with a comfortable seat and large eight-inch wheels.
- This is a premium rolling walker with a comfortable memory foam seat for when you get tired.
- It comes complete with all the accessories that you require and a convenient seat and cup holder.
- The walker is easy to handle and fold.
- There are also larger 8-inch wheels for smooth gliding.
The Drive Medical Walker comes with a comfortable seat for when you need a bit of a rest.
- The Drive Medical Two Wheeled Walker is simple and easy to use for seniors.
- It is a walker and rollator all in one with a durable frame and easy-grip handles.
- The height is adjustable, and the handles are contoured for better grip.
- The Walker is also foldable for easy storage and portability.
From Graham-Field, we have a sturdy design Walker that comes with generous five-inch wheels.
- A basic and sturdy design walker for seniors.
- It has a dual release folding mechanism for easy folding and storage.
- It comes complete with guide tops that replace the rear rubber rips for walking on a variety of surfaces,
- The walker also has a 300lb weight capacity and is very lightweight.
Index Table: Top Rated Walkers for Seniors
|1||Drive Medical Nitro Euro - Euro Style Senior Walker||Drive Medical||98.8|
|2||Drive Medical Deluxe - Walker for Seniors||Drive Medical||98.5|
|3||Oasis Space Alluminium - Rollator Walker for Seniors||Oasis Space||97.8|
|4||NOVA Get Go - Senior Walker and Rollator||NOVA||97.7|
|5||Stander EZ Fold n Go - Senior Walker||Stander||97|
|6||Able Life Space Saver - Foldable Walker for Seniors||Able Life||97.5|
|7||Roami Progressive - Self Adjusting Walker for Seniors||Roami||97.5|
|8||Medline Premium - Walker for Seniors||Medline||97.6|
|9||Drive Medical Two Wheeled - Walker for Seniors||Drive Medical||97|
|10||Graham-Field Everyday - Walker for Seniors||Graham-Field||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Invest in a Walker for Seniors
- How to Use and Maintain Your Walker
- Features of a Good Walker for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Walkers for Seniors
- Drive Medical® Nitro Euro Euro Style Senior Walker
- Drive Medical® Deluxe Walker for Seniors
- Oasis Space® Alluminium Rollator Walker for Seniors
- NOVA® Get Go Senior Walker and Rollator
- Stander® EZ Fold n Go Senior Walker
- Able Life® Space Saver Foldable Walker for Seniors
- Roami® Progressive Self Adjusting Walker for Seniors
- Medline® Premium Walker for Seniors
- Drive Medical® Two Wheeled Walker for Seniors
- Graham-Field® Everyday Walker for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Walkers for Seniors