For elderly persons that require mental and physical stimulation or who have restless hands and other conditions, it may be ideal you get the best fidget blanket for the elderly.
In this article, we will look at a few types of fidget blankets for the elderly and why they work so well.
Why Choose a Fidget Blanket or Busy Blanket for the Elderly
A fidget blanket is basically a lap-sized quilt that provides some sensory as well as tactile stimulation for someone with restless hands, Dementia, ADD, Alzheimer’s, autism, or other similar disabilities,
A fidget blanket is ideal for seniors and small children in turn, as well as anyone that gets a more settled feeling when their hands are busy.
Fidget blankest are usually a soft material that an elderly person can throw over their lap to keep warm, with colorful embellishments and creations such as zippers, toes, ribbons, buttons, different textured materials, braids, and pom-poms.
Now the question is, do fidget blankets essentially work?
There is still some research to be done with this regard into how fidget blankets truly help the elderly.
However, research has well found that for symptoms of Dementia, Alzheimer’s, stress, anxiety, and even just boredom, a fidget blanket is quite effective.
Repetitive fidgeting behaviors provide comfort for seniors that are under stress or have anxiety. In some cases, it can even alleviate pain for some seniors.
Sensory stimulation is also believed to be a great means by keeping seniors busy and preventing their thoughts from escalating to negative emotions.
So yes, essentially, fidget blankets do work, and they do help quite a bit!
Fidget Blankets for Dementia and Alzheimer’s
As we have discussed, fidget blankets are ideal for seniors with Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
It essentially keeps them busy and entertained to prevent negative feelings and thoughts from agitating them and also helps to relieve stress and boredom.
- Fidget Blanket Types – Fidget Blankets come in actual blankets or quilts, throws, and even smaller blankets that can be placed on a table. You also get fidget pillows and other items.
- Activities – Fidget Blankets should include at least five different activities that the elderly person can easily perform. Zips, ties, pockets, and braids are ideal. Different textures and materials should be used for them to feel.
- Colors – Fidget blankets need to be very colorful and entertaining for mental stimulation in turn and to keep the interest of an elderly person.
Features of a Good Fidget Blanket for Seniors
- Size – Fidget blankets come in a variety of sizes, and you need to select a size that is easy to use by the senior individual. Also consider storage and packability of the blanket for when you may need to travel with it or store it.
- Material – For the blanket itself, you need to choose a very durable material that will last long, such as cotton or polyester. A soft fleece is also comfortable to be thrown over the lap of an elderly person. Also, keep in mind something that can be washed regularly and that dries easily. For the embellishments, more varieties in textures ad colors of materials should be used for stimulation.
- Embellishments – This is where the tricky part comes in. It would help if you considered what the elderly person enjoys actually to fidget with. If they like pulling don a zip jacket constantly, you could get a blanket with zips on, for example. However, if you are not sure, try to get something with a large variety of embellishments that can be used for small tasks and activities to keep them busy.
- Colors – Keep it colorful, especially for seniors who have poor eyesight, the colors are enticing and keeps them stimulated mentally.
Reviews: The Best Fidget Blankets for the Elderly
These are some of the best available Fidget and busy blankets that you will find that are ideal for seniors and elderly persons;
- This is a two-sided fidget sensory blanket and pad for seniors.
- The blanket is ideal for seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s and ideal for children with Autism, Asperger’s, ADD, and similar conditions.
- The Blanket feature many activities and colorful embellishments that us ideal and safe for seniors.
- Two detachable gadgets include a playful loop with colorful beads and a soothing strand of ribbons.
- From GeriGuard, we have a Fidget quit for elderly persons.
- The blanket is ideal for persons who have memory loss, Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other similar conditions.
- The blanket is 12 inches by 21 inches in size.
- It can be rolled up easily for storage and has a Velcro closure tab.
- The fidget blanket is colorful and has multiple benefits for memory and exercising your hands.
- The TrendSelect fidget blanket and sensory pad are ideal for seniors and toddlers ad aid with therapy in Autism as well as Dementia and Alzheimer’s in seniors.
- It contains four different fabric textures with a non-skid bottom layer.
- It has many textures and sensory elements like fasteners, buckles, zips, and buttons to keep your hands busy.
- Easy to care for, it comes with full instructions for care and cleaning.
- The Espijo Memory Loss Fidget blanket has Dementia activities perfect for seniors and adults.
- It is also ideal for Alzheimer’s therapy and anxiety relief in elderly persons.
- The fidget blanket has a comfortable throw design to throw over your lap.
- It has many attachments and embellishments for activity as well as plenty of stimulating colors and textures.
- From HappyActivity, we also have the perfect activity pad and fidget blanket all in one for seniors.
- The activity pad and fidget blanket are great for seniors with Dementia, Alzheimer’s, memory loss, as well as who suffer from stress and anxiety.
- It contains many sensory activities to keep an elderly person busy and is quite colorful.
- There are no buttons or items that could cause a choking hazard.
- This is another superb model Fidget Blanket design from GeriGuard.
- It is aimed at helping elderly persons who have memory loss and dementia.
- The fidget blanket keeps their hands busy and their minds stimulated so that they do not get negative feelings or agitated.
- The fidget blanket features lacing, buckling zippers, and many other colorful activities and designs.
Index Table: Top Rated Fidget Blankets for the Elderly
|1||La Marquesita Two Sided - Fidget Blanket for Elderly Persons||La Marquesita||98|
|2||GeriGuard Quilt - Busy Blanket for the Elderly||GeriGuard||97.9|
|3||TrendSelect Sensory - Fidget Blanket for Seniors||TrendSelect||97|
|4||Espijo Memory Loss - Fidget Blankets for Seniors||Espijo||97.7|
|5||HappyActivity Dementia - Busy Blanket Pad for the Elderly||HappyActivity||96|
|6||GeriGuard Memory Loss - Elderly Person’s Fidget Blanket||GeriGuard||96.1|
Table of Contents
- Why Choose a Fidget Blanket or Busy Blanket for the Elderly
- Fidget Blankets for Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Features of a Good Fidget Blanket for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Fidget Blankets for the Elderly
- La Marquesita® Two Sided Fidget Blanket for Elderly Persons
- GeriGuard® Quilt Busy Blanket for the Elderly
- TrendSelect® Sensory Fidget Blanket for Seniors
- Espijo® Memory Loss Fidget Blankets for Seniors
- HappyActivity® Dementia Busy Blanket Pad for the Elderly
- GeriGuard® Memory Loss Elderly Person’s Fidget Blanket
- Index Table: Top Rated Fidget Blankets for the Elderly