Bedside fall mats are safety features that could provide excellent injury prevention and protection for an elderly person.
A bedside mat is placed next to the person’s bed to help provide a cushioning surface should they stumble and fall getting in and out of bed.
This article will look at some of the best available bedside fall mats specifically for seniors.
Why use a Fall Safety Mat for Seniors
A fall safety mat will provide much peace of mind for a family member or caregiver, knowing that a senior person is safe and has less risk of injury from a fall.
Fall mats come in various shapes and sizes from which you can choose and offer full coverage for the length and width of the area next to a bed.
The mat consists of thick padding that protects an elderly person from the impact should they fall. The mat usually has a textured slip-resistant surface for protection against slips and a rubberized or grippy bottom to keep the mat in place.
Furthermore, most fall safety mats for seniors are very easy to clean, and you can easily wipe them down, so overall, they also protect the carpet or floor area around the bed.
Generally, you get three different types of fall safety mats for seniors;
- Solid Bevelled Edge – The beveled edge fall safety mat is the most common type, and it is designed to accommodate wheelchairs and other mobile devices. The beveled edges of the mat allow for a wheelchair or mobile device to easily get on the mat, acting as a ramp.
- Folding Mats – Then you get folding fall mats for seniors. This design is useful if you need something more temporary to fold up and store away after use. A folding fall mat usually has two or three sections that you can fold up for easy storage.
- High Shock Absorbing Mats – High Shock Absorbency fall mats are created with extra cushioning and fall protection for elderly persons who are more likely to suffer a fall and more fragile and sensitive to falls and impact.
Each of these bedside fall mats is made with the patient’s specific needs in mind, and you can choose whichever style suits you best.
Benefits of a Bed Side Fall Mat for Seniors
Bedside fall mats for seniors come with quite a few benefits that you may not have thought of. Here are just a few;
- Many bedside Fall mats can be folded for easy storage if you only need to use them while the elderly person uses the bed.
- The Bedside Fall Mat is also slip-resistant and can protect elderly persons from slipping when they get in and out of bed.
- Most Fall ats also have a grippy bottom so that the mat will stay perfectly in place at all times.
- The Bedside Fall Mat is well cushioned to absorb plenty of impact protection and fragile elderly persons.
- You get different thickness levels in a bedside fall mat, and they are usually tested by having an egg dropped on them from a 5 to 6-foot distance.
Features of a Good Bedside Fall Mat for the Elderly
There are so many types and brands of fall mats on the market for seniors that it could be quite difficult to make a good choice. However, by following a few basic tips, you should easily e able o find the right one to suit your specific needs and requirement.
- Impact Absorbency – The mat should have good cushioning to absorb impact when a person falls on it.
- Stability – When an elderly person stands on the mat, it still needs to be quite stable for them to keep their balance.
- Slip Resistance – the surface of the fall mat needs to be textured and a material that is slip-resistant and will not cause unnecessary friction.
- Cushioning – The Overall thickness of the mat will provide underfoot cushioning as well as a soft area should there be a slip and a fall.
- Weight – The matt weight is not very important except if it needs to be moved around, you should settle for something lightweight. However, a heavier mat usually has firmer cushioning and is more sturdy overall.
- Size – The mat’s length and width should be adequate to fill the space next to the bed where an elderly person may be most unstable. It should be large enough to provide full-spectrum protection.
Reviews: The Best Bedside Fall Mats for the Elderly
These are some of the best available Bedside Fall mats for the elderly;
- The Drove Medical Tri-Fold bedside mat is ideal if you need something to fold up and store after use.
- It offers adequate cushioning against falls and has a non-skid bottom to prevent the mat from slipping.
- The mat easily folds into three sections for easy storage.
- It comes with a durable and easy-to-clean vinyl cover.
- The Vive Bedside fall Mat is also ideal for seniors.
- It offers complete bedside coverage with a large size and high impact absorbing capabilities with dense and thick foam.
- The foam is soft and very high density offering optimal fall protection.
- There are beveled edges for easier access to wheelchairs and other mobile devices.
- The mat is fully slip-resistant and has a slip-resistant rubber backing so that it will stay in place.
- The Drive Medical Primemat 2.0 is an impact-reducing fall mat available in two color options for seniors.
- The mat has a full 72-inch length for complete bedside coverage.
- It s tough and quite lightweight for easy moving.
- The foam us a high density and also passed the egg drop test from five feet.
- It has a low profile and tapered edges allowing for easy equipment passage.
- The bottom has anti-slip netting to keep it securely in place.
- The Nyortho beside fall mat comes in a few size options and foldable options from which you can choose as needed.
- The fall mat offers complete bedside coverage with a long and wide shape.
- It has a high-impact absorbing molded foam base and a waterproof rubber for slip resistance.
- The Bi-Fold model can easily be folded and stored as needed.
- The edges are also beveled for easier access to mobile devices and wheelchairs.
- The Secure SBSM Bedside Floor safety mat helps to prevent fall injuries in seniors.
- It has a 68 inch by 38-inch size and two-inch thickness.
- The fall mat is slip-resistant and has an easy-to-clean wipe-down, EZ clean surface.
- The mat is slip-resistant all around with a textured surface and slip-resistant grippy bottom.
- From Fid-Med, we have a foam bedside mat for seniors.
- The mat helps to reduce the risk of injuries during a fall in seniors.
- It has an easy-to-clean vinyl cover and two-inch density high compression polyurethane foam.
- The mat is flame-retardant, and there are also folded sections for easy storage.
Index Table: Top Rated Bedside Fall Mats for the Elderly
|1||Drive Medical Tri-Fold - Bedside Fall Mat for Seniors||Drive Medical||98|
|2||Vive - Bedside Fall Mat for the Elderly||Vive||97.8|
|3||Drive Medical Primeat 2.0 - Bedside Fall Mat||Drive Medical||97|
|4||NYOrtho Fallshield - Bedside Fall Mat for the Elderly||NYOrtho||97.2|
|5||Secure SBSM - Bedside Fall Mat for Seniors||Secure||96|
|6||Fid-Med Foam - Bedside Fall Mat for the Elderly||Fid-Med||96.9|
Table of Contents
- Why use a Fall Safety Mat for Seniors
- Benefits of a Bed Side Fall Mat for Seniors
- Features of a Good Bedside Fall Mat for the Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Bedside Fall Mats for the Elderly
- Index Table: Top Rated Bedside Fall Mats for the Elderly