As we age, we learn to live with the little aches and pains that life throws at us, and the same perspective may be applied to our quality of sleep.
This should never be true as you still need a happy and pleasant 7-8 hours of sleep every night, no matter what your age group.
A Key ingredient o a healthy sleep-recipe is to find the right bed and mattress.
Why Seniors Need a Good Bed
Most elderly persons without any major medical or Psychiatric conditions in the way generally enjoy a good night’s rest. However, sleep patterns do change when you get older, and there may be some sleep disturbances and persistent fatigue.
Poor sleep quality can in itself lead to conditions such as attention and memory issues as well as day time fatigue and depression,
Often pain discomfort in the body can be a reason why seniors may struggle to sleep at night.
A good bed and mattress provide optimal spinal support and a soft-top layer that reduces pressure on the elbows, shoulders, and hips.
An adjustable type bed can also provide the perfect position for optimal sleep.
Bed Types for Seniors
There are a few aspects to consider in the actual function and shape of a bed for seniors;
- Adjustable – One of the best bed types for a senior person is an adjustable bed, as this bed allows them to sleep in any position comfortable for them, as well as sit up and tilt their heads comfortable. The adjustable bed is also ideal for senior persons who struggle to get up and in and out of bed.
- Hand and Side Rails – A bed with hand and side rails protect an older adult from slipping out of bed, which can be very dangerous, as well as providing a place to hold on to when getting in and out of bed.
- Massaging – The massaging function on a bed is a luxury function that can provide soothing comfort and relief to sore and aching muscles.
- Durability – A bed for a senior person needs to be durable and able to have the correct weight capacity to last long and function well.
- Mattress – The most important part of the bed is, of course, the mattress, which in the case of the adjustable bed should be able to accommodate bending and flexing. A good mattress needs to provide firm support and soft comfort to reduce pressure points.
Features of a Good Bed for Seniors
- Strong and Durable Frame – The bed’s frame should be very strong and durable and able to handle the required amount of weight. Steel frames are usually used and in some models a composite or wood head frame and foot frame. Railing can be placed on some bed models for individuals who struggle with mobility.
- Adjustability – Adjustability in the bed usually allows for head tilting and lumbar lifting so that the person can sit up and lay down in the bed at the touch of a button. This also helps when individuals struggle to get up. Some bed models allow for Zero Gravity positions for comfort and support in any required position.
- Massage – There are a few bed models that have the addition of a massaging function, which can be vibration or full body massage function with different setting options.
- With or Without a Mattress – You can choose to purchase a bed with or without its matching mattress. Latex and Memory Foam mattresses are usually the best option to use with an adjustable bed frame.
- Size Options – The size of the bed is from a standard, Queen or King, to Split King size or Split Californian King size options, which you may choose from for your personal requirements.
- Extras – Additional extras usually include a USB charging port where you can charge your electronic from, a Flashlight bra, or under lighting under the bed. Most adjustable beds come with a remote control that has many functions, such as an emergency stop, and some beds come with a backup battery in case of a power outage.
Reviews: The Best Beds for Seniors
These are the best beds that you will find that are highly functional and have many features which are ideal for seniors;
- The Sven and Son are top brands of Adjustable beds, and a luxury split King-sized bed ideal for elderly couples.
- This base comes with two luxury latex mattresses that offer firm comfort and support and are ideal for using your adjustable bed.
- This bed adjusts and tilts in the head area as well as having an adjustable lumbar area,
- There is also a wireless backlit programable remote that you can use to operate the bed easily.
- The Secret Garden from Sleepwell is another top favorite bed for seniors with a Split King size and design option.
- The bed comes with a full Bumper to Bumper 10 year warranty for your peace of mind.
- This is a heavyweight lifting adjustable bed with proper foot and head articulation.
- There is also a body massage function and Bluetooth connectivity option with a four-port USB port for your convenience.
- A Precise Pillow Tilt design, adjustable bed, and under-bed lighting when you need it, all within an emergency power-down option.
- As the name says from Leggett and Platt, a True Prodigy is a top brand in beds for seniors.
- It comes with a warranty that you can trust for durability and long-lasting functioning.
- This is an adjustable design bed that allows you to sit up, lay down your head tilt for more versatility.
- The Bed comes in a King’s size and other size options, and you can also enjoy the separation benefits of a split king size bed option.
- The Glideaway Ascend is a Lightweight, luxury Zero-Gravity bed available in different size options and a Plsit King-Size option from which you may choose.
- The bed has a German engineered sturdy and durable well-functioning motor and a tranquil motor.
- There is an elevating lift function as well as a Zero GGravity position function in this bed.
- You can also enjoy a full-body enhancement massage.
- You can likewise enjoy the peace of mind of a 20-year warranty.
- This is a comfortable luxury massaging adjustable bed from Giantex.
- The bed has an adjustable frame as well as vibration massagers at the head and foot area.
- The massage function includes wave, pulse, and constant vibration modes from which you can choose.
- There is also an emergency battery backup function on this bed for unexpected power outages.
- The bed raises and lower individually or synchronously and can reach Zero gravity positions.
- Additionally included are USB ports, as well as a Flashlight and Mattress bar.
- From FC Bed, we have their industry-leading Hospital Bed Frame; I have chosen this bed for senior individuals who are no longer mobile and require at-home medical care daily.
- This bed is designed to offer optimal adjustability for sitting, tilting your head, and laying down comfortably, as well as having protective rails that you can also use to hold on to when getting in and out of bed.
- The frame of the bed is solid and durable and designed to accommodate medical devices.
- There is a strong composite headboard and footboard for protection.
Index Table: Top Rated Beds for Seniors
|1||Sven & Son Split King - Split Bed for Seniors||Sven & Son||98.8|
|2||Sleepwell Secret Garden - Bed for Seniors||Sleepwell||95|
|3||Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0 - Adjustable Bed for Seniors||Leggett & Platt||97|
|4||Glideaway Ascend - Zero Gravity Bed for Seniors||Glideaway||97|
|5||Giantex Adjustable - Bed for Seniors||Giantex||97|
|6||FC Bed Hospital bed Frame - Medical Bed for Seniors||FC Bed||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Seniors Need a Good Bed
- Bed Types for Seniors
- Features of a Good Bed for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Beds for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Beds for Seniors