Besides the right bed for a senior person, the right mattress also plays a huge role in comfortable and proper sleep patterns and can relieve aches and pains at night.
Why do Seniors Need a Specific Mattress Type
As we age, our bodies deteriorate, becoming more prone to back pain, arthritis, and other conditions and more sensitive to pressure. For this reason, sleep disturbances and uncomfortable sleeping positions are quite common among this age group.
But there is hope. The right mattress for seniors could be a way to recover and improve your overall sleep patterns. Sleeping on the right mattress does two things; It supports and aligns your spine with firm support and offers soft comfort to relieve pressure on pressure points such as the hips, elbows, and shoulders.
Retirement seems like a dream come true, enjoying the hard-earned money, playing with the grandkids, traveling, and trying to catch more sleep, right? You would think that older people have no issues falling asleep, but you couldn’t be more wrong.
Guide Choosing the Best Mattress for Seniors
Here are a few of the most important aspects to consider when choosing the best mattress in your old age;
- Firmness – The Level of firmness of your mattress is associated with your weight group; a heavier person will generally need a firmer bed than a lighter person. Besides, this firmer support in the mattress base is required for optimal spinal alignment and support.
- Pressure Relief – There is nothing like an uncomfortable lumpy mattress to add to pressure points; therefore, opt for a Memory foam-type top layered mattress that is soft and plush and molds to the shape of your body to relieve pressure points.
- Durability – A good mattress should last at least seven years; regardless of the type or brand, pay attention as some mattress fills have a shorter lifespan. Make sure that you check the warranty and lifespan of your mattress. Opting for a well-known and trusted brand will always be worth your while.
- Temperature Regulating – Keep in mind that some mattress fill types, such as Memory foam, tend to retain heat and, therefore, always look for breathability or cooling Gel infusions in the memory foam.
Features of a Good Mattress for Seniors
- Top Layers – Depending on Mattress’s type, the top layers consist of softer and more plush memory foam, latex or gel-infused memory foam, or latex foam. Latex has better cooling capabilities and firmer support, while memory foam conforms to your body’s shape and retains heat better.
- Base – The Base layers are firmer and offer better support, usually consisting of thicker and denser layers of the top foam type, such as Latex or Memory Foam. In Hybrid models, you will have a top layer of either Memory Foam or Latex. The bottom layers will consist of individually wrapped steel or pocketed coils, helping prevent motion transfer.
- Cover – Bamboo, cotton, and other synthetic materials are usually used for the cover to provide a thick protective barrier. Some covers are quilted and padded, while others are smooth and can come in single or double-tone colors.
- Size Options – Most mattress models come in size options of Standard, Queen, or King, while some may offer XL or three-quarter options and extra-length designs.
- Extras – Additional extras may include bee CXooling Gel-infused usually into memory foam because memory foam tends to overheat and into some models the Latex. Charcoal and Bamboo are used in the covers or fill, which provide comfortable breathability, and Charcoal can reduce odors and remove toxins.
Reviews: The Best Mattresses for Seniors
Here are the best brands and models in comfortable Mattresses for senior individuals;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- The Ace Sleep Mattress is a Hybrid Memory Foam and Gel mattress with a durable cover.
- This mattress has a high-density base core that is six inches thick for firm support, while on top, you have cooling gel Infused Memory foam for softer comfort.
- The cover also has a cooling and breathable effect.
- Moreover, this mattress can be used with any adjustable bed and is available in many size selections.
- The Lucid Premium support mattress offers firm to medium support, ideal for older persons with back issues.
- A Hybrid mattress with high-quality, individually wrapped steel coils can also isolate motions.
- Likewise, plush memory foam layers on the top layers of the mattress with a natural layer of Latex for the perfect softness combination to firmness.
- The mattress has a soft and attractive two-tone cover to finish it off.
- The Nautica Premium is a Hybrid Latex Coil Mattress for firmer and more supportive comfort.
- You can choose between different sizes and thickness options for a firmer or softer feel.
- The mattress cover is designed with Convoluted Foam and with a quilted design for comfort and elegance.
- The fill comprises Gel Infused Latex foam for cooling comfort and wrapped pocketed springs for optimal support.
- The foam used in this mattress is likewise Certi-Pur Certified.
- Looking for an all-natural and more organic, safe mattress option, then PureGreen is your best bet.
- This is a full latex mattress with no synthetic materials, chemicals, or glues used in the making process.
- It offers medium-firm support and comfort with all-natural organic Latex Foam.
- This mattress is also Greenguard certified safe and contains no fire retardants.
- An excellent choice if you have any allergies.
- The LinenSpa Hybrid Mattress offers a supportive feel without being overly firm.
- The mattress comprises four layers of natural foamy Latex with high-quality steel coils in the base individually wrapped for better motion isolation.
- Latex Foam is also naturally temperature neutral and will not overheat as memory foam.
- The Coils are also encased in a foam base for further support and comfort.
- This mattress has a smooth and elegant cover and is available in different size options with or without a matching base.
- The Vibe Mattress is available in a Hybrid or Gel-infused option and different sizes from which you can choose.
- There are two inches of Gel-Infused memory foam in the top layers with another 3 inches of Gel foam to draw away heat and provide push comfort.
- There are also seven inches of high-density base foam in the mattress for optimal support, providing excellent pain relief and responsive cushioning.
- The model I have chosen here is the general Gel-infused memory foam. The Hybrid model has a base of pocketed individually wrapped spring coils below the memory foam top layers.
The Pure Green latex mattress is a natural alternative that offers medium-firm support.
- A medium-firm support mattress for seniors.
- This is a natural latex fill mattress that is hypoallergenic.
- The mattress is GOTS Certified and OEKO TEX standard.
- Filled with organic latex.
This is a hybrid design mattress with coils and latex for comfort and support.
- The mattress consists of four layers of foam in latex.
- Latex keeps the temperature regular and helps your sleep cooler.
- Latex mattresses are natural and hypoallergenic.
- The mattress offers medium support.
The Zinus mattress is memory foam infused with green tea.
- A Certipur certified memory foam mattress infused with green tea.
- The mattress comes in many size options and has a 12-inch thickness.
- The foam is a layer of different thicknesses for pressure relief.
- Ideal for relieving aches and pains.
The Classic Brands memory foam mattress has a cooling gel for your comfort and cooling.
- The mattress consists of pure and soft memory foam.
- The memory foam is infused with gel to keep you cool.
- It provides medium to soft comfort and support for seniors.
- The design comes in different size options.
Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Seniors
|1||Olee Sleep Adjustable - Mattress for Seniors||Olee Sleep||98.7|
|2||LUCID Premium Support - Hybrid Mattress for Seniors||LUCID||97|
|3||Nautica Home - Latex Hybrid Mattress for Seniors||Nautica||98|
|4||Pure Green Natural - Medium Firm Latex Mattress for Seniors||Pure Green||97|
|5||LinenSpa Hybrid - Latex Coil Mattress for Seniors||LinenSpa||96|
|6||Vibe GEL - Memory Foam Mattress for Seniors||Vibe||95|
|7||Pure Green - Senior’s Mattress||Pure Green||97.2|
|8||Linenspa Supportive - Mattress for Seniors||Linenspa||97.6|
|9||Zinus 12 Inch - Senior’s Mattress||Zinus||97.4|
|10||Classic brands Cool gel - Mattress for Seniors||Classic brands||97.5|
Table of Contents
- Why do Seniors Need a Specific Mattress Type
- Guide Choosing the Best Mattress for Seniors
- Features of a Good Mattress for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Mattresses for Seniors
- Olee Sleep® Adjustable Mattress for Seniors
- LUCID® Premium Support Hybrid Mattress for Seniors
- Nautica® Home Latex Hybrid Mattress for Seniors
- Pure Green® Natural Medium Firm Latex Mattress for Seniors
- LinenSpa® Hybrid Latex Coil Mattress for Seniors
- Vibe® GEL Memory Foam Mattress for Seniors
- Pure Green® Senior’s Mattress
- Linenspa® Supportive Mattress for Seniors
- Zinus® 12 Inch Senior’s Mattress
- Classic brands® Cool gel Mattress for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Seniors