Just as a senior person enjoys kicking back in their recliner chair and watching television, they also need to spend time outdoors in the fresh air or with family for a barbeque or outdoor event.
However, outdoor chairs are not nearly as comfortable and easy to use as the trusted indoor recliner or lounging chair.
That is why we are here to help you get the best outdoor chair for an older adult.
Choosing the Best Outdoor Chair for Seniors
When you picture a senior person outdoors or on a patio, you may picture an old withered grandfather with his granddaughter in a rocking chair or an old grandmother with her grandson on a porch swing. These are very idyllic scenes, but there are so many more ideal seating options for an elderly person than a rocking chair or outdoor porch swing.
So, what are we looking for?
While an elderly person may be just as sharp mentally as they used to be in their younger days, their backs, knees, shoulders, and body parts may become a bit more creaky and sore. They may not be able to do the things they sued to physically, and a simple outdoor chair could be very uncomfortable and unstable for them.
Thus, you need to consider these points;
- 1. Consider a chair that is easy for them to get in and out of, so look t depth, size, and height.
- 2. Sitting on the chair should hold their posture properly and not cuase them to bend down or hunch over.
- 3. The seat needs to be cushioned and comfortable to reduce pressure points.
- 4. It will need to offer adequate back support, especially for the lower back.
Types of Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly
Here are a few ideas on outdoor chairs that are the best outdoor chairs for the elderly;
- A Patio Recliner – The Patio recliner is a heavy-duty chair that usually has a rust and weather-resistant frame. It reclines function, with comfortable cushioning and a supportive back. Some recline designs may not have to cushion and rather just webbing.
- A Outdoor Rocking chair – Outdoor Rocking chairs come in foldable and portable options as well as fixed standing options. The chair has a rocking functional, and comfortable design with or without cushioning.
- An Outdoor Chaise Lounger – The Chaise Lounger for outdoors is similar to the indoor design but with more durable and weather-resistant materials. The chair is sturdy and allows you to fully extend and get comfortable for many hours in the sun. The Lounger also has comfortable armrests.
- Zero Gravity Recliner – The Zero Gravity recliner is available in a beach or camping chair design or a sturdier fixed option. It can recline into zero gravity and infinite positions and offers full neck, leg, head, and neck support. The chair may be padded and comes with armrests.
- Outdoor Club Chairs – A wood or wicker outdoor club chair is very comfortable and looks good. It has a cushioned seat and backs with a wood or wicker frame and armrests.
- For a more portable outdoor Chair option, you can opt for an appropriate design Camping Chair. Taller and higher camping chairs are easy to get in and out of, and they may come with armrests and comfortable webbing, along with other features.
Features of a Good Outdoor Chair for the Elderly
When choosing a good outdoor chair or patio chair for a senior individual, three main considerations can help you make a more informed choice;
- Proper Posture – For a senior person proper posture is of utmost importance. Proper posture for a senior holds many health benefits and can boost their energy levels and confidence in life significantly. I am sure that they have a comfortable lounge chair indoors that supports their posture, but the goal here is to invest in an outdoor or patio chair that supports their posture to feel even better when enjoying the fresh air outdoors.
- Sturdiness – Another key consideration is the sturdiness of the outdoor chair for a senior individual. You cannot risk having a flimsy chair that may cause them to fall or that may break under their weight, as a fall for a senior adult can be very severe. Quality is usually directly related to how sturdy the chair will be, and a good quality sturdy outdoor chair will consist of good quality materials with proper construction. Have you ever sat on a plastic lawn chair and have it just snap off? This is why I urge you to select good quality and sturdy outdoor chair consisting of heavy-duty quality plastic, sturdy wood, or a durable and sturdy metal frame.
- Ease of Use – Choose a chair that is easy to use for a senior. Generally, elderly persons struggle to sit down and get back up again. That is why it is important always to consider height in an outdoor chair for the elderly. A low-profile chair is not advised for a senior person as it is difficult to sit down and get back up from, so always opt for a higher profile chair. A simple design with an armrest is most comfortable and user-friendly so that there is something for them to grab on to and hold on to when getting up and sitting down.
- Comfort – Comfort is essential as you want your senior loved ones to enjoy their time outside. So, look for a chair that comes with comfortable and durable cushioning or materials that is comfortable to sit on and that will not cause pressure points. When choosing an outdoor chair with cushions, keep in mind to look for some that have a removable cover that you can wash, as well as a weather-resistant design.
Reviews: The Best Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly
Here we have some variety of the best available outdoor chairs for elderly persons;
- The Hanover Ventura Chair is a sturdy outdoor recliner chair for seniors.
- The chair has a hand-woven wicker frame and thick cushions for comfort.
- The chair is rust-resistant and very durable.
- It has a generous size and a good height.
- From the Portal store, we have an oversized mesh back zero gravity outdoor chair for the elderly.
- The chair offers zero gravity and infinite recline positions.
- It has full back support and leg support with a breathable mesh cover and sturdy frame.
- It is oversized for larger elderly individuals.
- From La-Z-Boy, we have an Outdoor chair for seniors that is comfortable and looks good.
- It is the ideal piece for your patio that is also highly functional.
- The outdoor chair has quick-drying seat cushions, and a durable, durable, high-performance fabric is sturdy and rust-resistant.
- For a camping chair design, we have the GCI outdoor chair that is portable and foldable.
- It has a wide and comfortable seat and a supportive back.
- It is ideal for travel or if you have minimal space in your garden or patio.
- It folds up easily and stores compact.
- There are two colors available.
- The Preston wooden Club chair is a decorative and functional piece of your garden and patio that is also very comfortable for an elderly person to sit on.
- You get two club chairs in this option.
- The chair has a comfortable seat and cushions and an acacia wood frame.
- The cushions come with a water-resistant cover that can be removed and washed.
- The Patio Tree Outdoor Recliner chair is also perfect for elderly persons.
- It has adjustable legs and a back mechanism that can adjust.
- The frame is durable, powder-coated, and rust-resistant.
- It has thick foam cushions with a premium olefin fabric that is durable and UV resistant.
Index Table: Top Rated Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly
|1||Hanover Ventura - Seniors Outdoor Chair||Hanover||98.2|
|2||Portal Oversized - Outdoor Chair for the Elderly||Portal||98|
|3||La-Z-Boy ABRE-SRL-1PK - Outdoor Chair for the Elderly||La-Z-Boy||97|
|4||GCI Freestyle - Elderly’s Outdoor Chair||GCI||97.7|
|5||Preston Wooden - Outdoor Chair for Seniors||Preston||97.2|
|6||Patio Tree Recliner - Outdoor Chair for the Elderly||Patio Tree||97.5|
Table of Contents
- Choosing the Best Outdoor Chair for Seniors
- Types of Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly
- Features of a Good Outdoor Chair for the Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly
- Index Table: Top Rated Outdoor Chairs for the Elderly