Calcium and Vitamin D are the two most essential minerals that your body needs for bone strength and development and healthy teeth.
Calcium and Vitamin D significantly decrease as you age, and your diet may not supply the needed amounts.
Therefore taking the best available Calcium and Vitamin D supplements as you age is of crucial importance.
Do Seniors Need More Calcium?
Yes, older people most definitely need more Calcium.
I would go as far as saying that you need to take a Calcium supplement from an early age and even more so when you get older.
Your diet supplies only around a third of your daily amount of required Calcium, and this is similar or your Vitamin D requirement.
Vitamin D and Calcium go hand in hand, and as you will see, almost all Calcium supplements also contain vitamin D.
Vitamin D and Calcium are vital for proper Bone strength and your teeth’ health, and as you age, the strength of your Bones and your teeth tend to deteriorate, making a Calcium supplement quite crucial.
Choosing the Right Calcium Supplement
Choosing the right Calcium is quite easy, there are two types of Calcium, and then there is the added Vitamin D;
- Calcium Citrate – Calcium Citrate is one of the Calcium forms that are the most easily absorbed and can be taken with or without a meal. Calcium Citrate is ideal for seniors who get bloated easily or who have constipation.
- Calcium Carbonate – Calcium Carbonate is a cheaper form of calcium usually found in Rolaids and TUMS. This form of Calcium is sourced from Oyster shells and corals, which should not be taken if you have a Shellfish allergy.
- Vitamin D – Ensure that vitamin D or Vitamin D3 is added to your calcium supplement in the amount of 400IU or more, which is adequate for seniors.
Features of a Good Calcium Supplement for Seniors
- High Potency – A good Calcium supplement should have anything from 400MG and more calcium as your daily requirement as a senior adult is around 1000MG.
- Vitamin D3 – Vitamin D3 is added to all calcium supplements to aid with the absorption of Calcium.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is also a great additional Vitamin in Calcium supplement for its immune support and aiding in the abruption of Calcium.
- Addatives – Other Minerals such as Magnesium and vitamins may be added to a calcium supplement for enhanced nutritional value.
Reviews: The Best Calcium Supplements for Seniors
Here are some of our top choices in Calcium Supplements for seniors;
The Caltrate Mini contains vitamin D3 and minerals, and the small size is straightforward to swallow by older persons.
- The Caltrate Calcium tablet is a high potency calcium tablet for seniors.
- These tablets also contain Vitamin D3 as well as other minerals.
- The small size of the Caltrate Mini makes it much easier for seniors to swallow.
- There are also different quantity options that you can choose from in this brand.
Nature’s Bounty is a natural Calcium supplement that also contains Vit D3.
- A high potency calcium supplement that contains 600mg of calcium and also magnesium.
- Vitamin D3 is added, which increases the absorption of Calcium.
- The product contains natural elements and ingredients and is ideal for women after menopause.
- You can enjoy a month’s supply with Nature’s Bounty option.
The Doctor’s Best Calcium supplement is a complex supplement that helps to densify bones and teeth.
- Ideal for an older adult who suffers from brittle and fragile bones and teeth.
- The supplement comes in a 180 tablet container.
- The composition is complete with Calcium Complex and minerals to help with absorption.
- It also contains Magnesium, Vit D3, zinc, copper, manganese, and Vitamin C.
The Viactiv is a chewable calcium tablet that comes in a supply of 180 tablets per container.
- It contains High potency Calcium as well as Vitamin D for better absorption.
- The bottle contains 180 tablets that are Chewable and easy for seniors to chew.
- Each tablet is individually wrapped for freshness and for taking with you on a trip.
- The Chew is chocolate flavored and delicious to eat.
The Garden of Life Calcium Whole Food supplement is all-natural and contains much-needed minerals and probiotics.
- You can choose between a 60 or 120 count bottle in a few options.
- The Vitamin contains Calcium, Magnesium, probiotics, Enzymes, and Vitamin D3, all in a Raw and natural form.
- Added minerals and Vitamin D3 allow for much better absorption of calcium.
- The Vitamin is completely organic and all-natural in ingredients.
From Kirkland, we have a delicious chewable Calcium Gummy which is easy for seniors to chew and digest.
- The Vitamin contains a high 500g potency of Calcium.
- There is also Vitamin D3 included for better absorption of the calcium.
- These are flavored chewable gummy tablets that are easier for seniors to chew and enjoy.
- The bottle comes with 240 chewable Calcium gummies that also contain natural fruit juices for flavor.
The New Chapter Calcium supplement has added Vitamin K and D, as well as magnesium.
- Clinical strength calcium tablets.
- Vitamins and minerals are added for better calcium absorption.
- Ideal for bone strength and teeth.
- Comes in different amount options.
Caltrate is a top-name brand in calcium supplements for seniors.
- A popular brand that is well trusted.
- High calcium count, with added vitamin D for absorption.
- Comes in different sizes with different amounts of supplements.
- Ideal for seniors.
The Naturelo Calcium Supplement is plant-based and contains additional minerals and vitamins.
- A completely plant-based calcium source.
- It contains added vitamins and minerals for better absorption.
- Free firm gluten, soy and GMO’s.
- Ensures good teeth and bone health.
Citracal is an excellent calcium supplement for seniors.
- A Calcium Citrate with added Vitamin D3.
- It comes in a set of two bottles with 280 Capulets each.
- A leading calcium brand that is well trusted.
- Perfect for seniors and adults.
Index Table: Top Rated Calcium Supplements
|1||Caltrate Mini’s - Calcium Supplement for Seniors||Caltrate||98.7|
|2||Nature’s Bounty Calcium - Senior’s Calcium Supplement||Nature’s Bounty||98|
|3||Doctor’s Best Bone Maker - Calcium Complex Supplement for Seniors||Doctor’s Best||97.8|
|4||Viactiv Calcium Plus - Calcium Supplement for Older People||Viactiv||98|
|5||Garden of Life Raw - Natural Senior’s Calcium Supplement||Garden of Life||96|
|6||Kirkland Signature - Calcium Supplement for Senior Persons||Kirkland||96|
|7||New CHapter Bone Strength - Calcium For Seniors||New CHapter||97.2|
|8||Caltrate 600+D3 - Senior’s Calcium Supplement||Caltrate||97.4|
|9||Naturelo Plant Based - Calcium For Seniors||Naturelo||97.4|
|10||Citracal - Senior’s Calcium Supplement||Citracal||97.7|
Table of Contents
- Do Seniors Need More Calcium?
- Choosing the Right Calcium Supplement
- Features of a Good Calcium Supplement for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Calcium Supplements for Seniors
- Caltrate® Mini’s Calcium Supplement for Seniors
- Nature’s Bounty® Calcium Senior’s Calcium Supplement
- Doctor’s Best® Bone Maker Calcium Complex Supplement for Seniors
- Viactiv® Calcium Plus Calcium Supplement for Older People
- Garden of Life® Raw Natural Senior’s Calcium Supplement
- Kirkland® Signature Calcium Supplement for Senior Persons
- New CHapter® Bone Strength Calcium For Seniors
- Caltrate® 600+D3 Senior’s Calcium Supplement
- Naturelo® Plant Based Calcium For Seniors
- Citracal® Senior’s Calcium Supplement
- Index Table: Top Rated Calcium Supplements