Older adults generally need to take in much more protein than younger persons. When dealing with chronic illness and acute illness, the necessity for Protein also increases.
Therefore it is always a good idea to take a good protein supplement as a senior person, so in this article, we will look at some of the best available protein supplements for senior persons.
Why Seniors Need More Protein
There are a few reasons as to why senior persons may need additional protein;
- Weight Loss and Ilness – Older persons who suffer from an acute or chronic condition, and who are losing weight can greatly benefit from a protein supplement.
- Stress – Stress on an aging body can affect muscle and bone strength and health, which will benefit from a protein supplement.
- Muscle Strength – As we age, our muscles and joints deteriorate and become weakened. Protein will help to keep muscles and joints strong and healthy.
- Impact on Functioning – Recent studies have also found that older adults who take more protein have better mobility and functioning of their bodies that those who do not.
Forms of Protein
Protein in all forms is fine, whether it is Plant-Based or from Meats.
A protein Supplement can contain protein in the following forms;
- Whey – Whey is the most common and is obtained from milk, which is better when it is from Grass-Fed Cows.
- Soy – Soy is a very high protein Plant based form of protein.
- Plant Based – As mentioned, Soy, as well as Brown Rice and Peas, can be used for Plant-Based Vegan safe protein.
- Egg – Egg Protein can also be used in shakes however it is not that common.
Features of a Good Protein Drink for Seniors
- Plant Based – Plants based Proteine can consist of Soy; Pea, Brown Rice, and other forms of plant proteins.
- Whey – Whey Isolate protein powder is ideal in a 100% form and should come from Grass-Fed cows only for purity.
- Addatives – Minerals and Vitamins can be added to protein shakes to enrich them as well as flavors and sugars for taste.
- Protein Amount – Anything between 20-30MG of protein per serving is an ideal daily intake for older adults.
Reviews: The Best Protein Drinks for Seniors
Below are some excellent choices in Protein supplemental drinks for older persosns;
The Dymatize is a Pure Whey protein shake that comes in a delicious chocolate flavor and is ideal for seniors.
- The shake is quick-absorbing and contains only Whey protein in the purest form.
- Your protein shake comes in a delicious range of flavors as well as size options.
- The Protein contains all required branched Amino Acids as well as Leucine for muscle support.
- The formula is scientifically proven and easily digested.
A well-known health shake containing protein for seniors is the Ensure brand.
- Ensure is a high-quality health brand that is trusted by many.
- The ensure meal replacement shake contains High proteins, Minerals, Vitamins, and Fiber for optimal nutrition.
- Ensure is the ideal Protein shake for persons who are underweight and have difficulty eating.
- You can likewise choose from a range of flavor options.
From Amazon Elements, we have a 100% natural Whey Protein from Grass-Fed cows.
- The Whey protein is non-GMO, and 100% obtained from Grass-Fed cows.
- There is 25g of protein per serving, which is high enough for seniors.
- There are no added artificial ingredients or sugars, and a natural Vanilla flavor is added
- You can also rely on this trusted Amazon brand.
From Orgain, we have a 1005 natural plant-based protein shake, which is ideal for elderly persons.
- Because this product is plant-based, it is also vegan friendly.
- The shake consists of a pea, brown rice, and chia seed proteins which are all plant-based and natural./
- The protein shake easily mixes with water and has a delicious and creamy texture and taste.
- Ideal healthy on the go nutrition for all seniors and adults.
The Isopure Protein Isolate shake ha no Crabs and is enriched with essential Vitamins and nutrients, ideal for senior persons.
- It is a 100% pure Whey isolate protein shake that is enriched with Vitamins and essential nutrients.
- You can choose between many different flavor options of your liking.
- There are Zero carbs in the shake to help you watch your calorie intake.
- The protein shake is also KETO friendly and Diet-friendly.
For Older persons who still enjoy sports or exercise, this is one of the best protein shake options.
- It is a plant-based high protein shake that contains Amino Acids and BCAA’s.
- The ingredients are sports specific and ideal for seniors who exercise or do some form of sports and activities.
- The shake is also Keto friendly and low calorie.
- Plant-based proteins are Vegan friendly and offer high protein content.
Index Table: Top Rated Protein Drinks
|1||Dymatize Elite - Protein Drink for Seniors||Dymatize||98|
|2||Ensure Original - Protein Drink for Seniors||Ensure||97.7|
|3||Amazon Elements Organic - Organic Senior’s Protein Drink||Amazon Elements||96|
|4||Orgain Organic - Plant Based Protein Drink for Older People||Orgain||97|
|5||Isopure Zero Carb - Senior’s Protein Drink||Isopure||97.4|
|6||Vega Sport Protein - Sport Protein Drink for Senior Persons||Vega Sport||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Why Seniors Need More Protein
- Forms of Protein
- Features of a Good Protein Drink for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Protein Drinks for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Protein Drinks