The very humble can opener is a tool that we tend to take for granted many times, and you might not think of it lying somewhere in a drawer, but you are sure to miss it when you need it.
Using this simple yet effective tool may not be as easy for the younger folk for an older person. Therefore we need to look at some specialized designs which are easy to use for seniors.
Why Seniors Need a Good Manual Can Opener
Many factors come into play for an older person when it comes to their hands and operating simple tools such as a can opener.
Many seniors have arthritis or even weakness and pain in their hands, making it difficult or impossible to operate regular can openers.
The Squeezing and twisting action of using a Can Opener can be painful to inflamed joints and very difficult in weaker hands.
Despite this, many can opener models leave sharp edges on the can and lid, causing an injury.
Best Types of Can Openers for Seniors
Before we get into the best Can openers for seniors, let us first look at some types of Can Openers that are ideal for seniors;
- Manual Basic Crank Can Opners – The Basic Manual Crank Can Opener requires you to squeeze the two handles, which look like a scissor, closely together to break the seal of the can. You have to turn the crank wheel with one hand while tightly holding the handles with the other hand. This usually results in a can opened at the top with sharp edges left on the lid and the can.
- Modern Can Openers – These work similarly but with much easier technology. Instead of having to squeeze handles, you place a turning wheel or blade on the side of the Can and close the handles; no squeezing necessary. The Crank is in the form of a comfortable turning knob which you easily turn. The can is opened with nos harp edges on the lid or can. What is more, there is an opening tong at the side s you can lift the lid rather than touch it.
Features of a Good Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Handle – A durable non-slip handle design is ideal made from either rubber or plastic, with and ergonomic shape and grip design.
- Adjustability – Many models can adjust to different sized and shaped cans automatically or manually and come with an included built-in plier to allow for contact-free lid removal, as well as a bottle opener or other handy fixtures.
- Turning Knob – A turning knob option is straightforward and safe to use, particularly by elderly hands.
- Cutting Wheel – The cutting wheel cuts through the cans are usually made from very sharp and durable stainless steel. The cutting mechanism also allows for cutting without leaving and sharp edges on the lid or the can.
Reviews: The Best Manual Can Openers for Seniors
These are some of the best available Manual can Openers, which have proven to be ideal for seniors, especially those with arthritis.
One of the top favorite can Openers for seniors I the OXO Good grips with its soft handle design.
- You can easily and safely open almost any can with no hassle, and without creating, sharp edges can occur, such as with older model openers.
- The Oversized wide-wing mechanism moves smoothly and efficiently.
- A Soft Grip knob has a non-slip design and is comfortable to use.
- The sharper stainless steel cutting wheel is very durable and effective at cutting through most cans.
- There are built-in pliers for easy and contact-free lid removal.
The Bartelli Soft Edge is a Safe and comfortable Ambidexterous Can Opener for seniors.
- An innovative no-squeeze cutting mechanism automatically locks onto the can and cuts the sides, leaving no sharp edges on the can or the lid.
- A No-squeeze handle design with a large knob allows for easy turning.
- The unique three-in-one design has a built-in Jar and Bottle opener.
- The blade is made from high-quality steel and effortlessly opens almost any type of can.
- Perfect for individuals who have hand pain or arthritis in their hands and weaker elderly hands.
From Kuhn Rikon, we have the superb Auto safety Master Smooth Touch can opener for the elderly.
- The Can opener is available in a black or red color option, from which you can choose.
- There is a touchless removal design with a side-cutting mechanism to prevent sharp edges on the lid and can.
- There is also an additional classic bottle opener on the side and a ring pull tool.
- Comfortable and easy to use with a safe grip turning knob.
From Jokari, we have the easy opening ring pull can opener with a non-slip rubber grip handle.
- The tool easily opens cans of all shapes and sizes.
- The perfect utensil for older and more weak hands that is safe and easy to use.
- Made from durable materials with a rubber grip handle.
- What is more, is that the Can opener is also dishwasher safe.
The Swing-a-Way can Opener has a comfortable crank handle for older hands.
- The tool makes it much easier to open cans with the Unique Crank-handle design.
- The hand-Crank Mechanism works fast, smoothly, and easily and is suitable for people with reduced strength in their hands.
- There is a gear-driven cutting wheel, so you do not need to stop for dents or dips.
- It features a practical and robust, durable body made from steel with a fitted extra long comfortable grip handle and a built-in bottle opener,
Another excellent addition from Kuhn Rikon is their Ratchet Safety Smooth Touch can opener for seniors.
- A lovely and modern, sleek design available in a red or black color selection.
- The Swiss design offers accessible lock-on technology.
- There is a very comfortable and easy-to-use ratchet handle, ideal for elderly hands.
- The stainless steel cutting mechanism is extremely durable and sharp enough for any can.
- The opener will never touch the content of the can making this a very hygienic option.
- You also get the Kuhn Rikon lid lifter included for touchless lid removal.
- The Yahong can opener is a manual can opener for seniors.
- It has multiple functions and a stainless steel blade.
- The handle is ergonomic and more comfortable to use.
- It also has an easy magnetic grip function.
- It is a full kitchen aid and can opener.
- The Dainbright is an easy-to-use can opener for seniors.
- It is fully manual and has eight functions.
- The can opener has ABS protection materials and alloy steel.
- It is easy and effortless to operate.
- The Ovoor manual Can Opener is ideal for seniors.
- It is a three-in-one-can opener and jar or bottle opener.
- You can easily clean and open it for cleaning.
- It is durable and of high quality.
- Very safe and easy to use for seniors.
- The Cook with Color Deluxe is the perfect manual can opener for seniors.
- It is a trendy design that is simple to use and durable.
- The cutting wheel is stainless steel, and it has a built-in bottle opener.
- There are comfortable gip nylon handles and an oversized knob.
Index Table: Top Rated Manual Can Openers for Seniors
|1||OXO Good Grips - Soft Handle Senior Manual Can Opener||OXO||98.7|
|2||Bartelli Soft Edge - Manual Can Opener for Seniors||Bartelli||98|
|3||Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety - Manual Can Opener for Seniors||Kuhn Rikon||98|
|4||Jokari Easy Open - Senior Pull Can Manual Can Opener||Jokari||97.5|
|5||Swing a Way Easy Crank - Manual Can Opener for Seniors||Swing a Way||97.5|
|6||Kuhn Rikon Rathchet Safety - Manual Can Opener for Older People||Kuhn Rikon||98|
|7||Yahong Handheld - Manual Can Opener for Seniors||Yahong||97.5|
|8||Dainbright Stainless Steel - Manual Can Opener for Elderly||Dainbright||97.2|
|9||Ovoor Manual - Manual Can Opener for Seniors||Ovoor||96.6|
|10||Cook with Color Deluxe - Manual Can Opener for Elderly||Cook with Color||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Seniors Need a Good Manual Can Opener
- Best Types of Can Openers for Seniors
- Features of a Good Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Manual Can Openers for Seniors
- OXO® Good Grips Soft Handle Senior Manual Can Opener
- Bartelli® Soft Edge Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Kuhn Rikon® Auto Safety Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Jokari® Easy Open Senior Pull Can Manual Can Opener
- Swing a Way® Easy Crank Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Kuhn Rikon® Rathchet Safety Manual Can Opener for Older People
- Yahong® Handheld Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Dainbright® Stainless Steel Manual Can Opener for Elderly
- Ovoor® Manual Manual Can Opener for Seniors
- Cook with Color® Deluxe Manual Can Opener for Elderly
- Index Table: Top Rated Manual Can Openers for Seniors