Most designer sunglasses are aimed at a younger market today, And there is not always much availed for the older senior generation.
Eyecare is of the utmost importance, particularly as you age and your eyes become weaker and more sensitive.
Blocking harmful UV rays with the best sunglasses for seniors can be a simple and stylish way to minimize the eyes’ damage.
Today we will look at various sunglasses that cater specifically to senior persons.
Why Seniors Need Proper Sunglasses
As a senior, your eyes tend to worsen the older you get, and many seniors report blurred and limited vision that can worsen as the years go by.
Regular and even prolonged exposure to sunlight may contribute to many of the issues you may be experiencing when it comes to your eyes. Irritation of the cornea, known as keratitis, and even clouding lenses caused by cataracts are all sunlight exposure.
Avoiding the sun completely is not an option. However, the proper sunglasses will offer full protection against these harmful rays.
If you wear prescription or reading glasses, then no problem; there are many Fit Over sunglasses that you can wear over your glasses.
So as you can see, a senior does need proper sunglasses, and luckily there is quite a market for it that delivers many useful and stylish options.
Criteria for Choosing Sunglasses for Seniors
The right sunglasses for you as a senior should help you to look great and also help with some common eye issues. Sunglasses will prevent your eyes’ deterioration and even prevent wrinkles from developing around them. Here are a few options that you should consider;
- Sunglasses for Glare Protection – Older adults are generally more sensitive to the glare from sunlight other lights, and those who have extra light sensitivity or glaucoma, even more so. So an anti-glare design with wrap around lenses is advised that offers complete UVA/UVB protection.
- Sunglasses for Glaucoma and Light Sensitivity – Sunglasses with anti-reflective lens coatings and an amber tint to prevent glare are ideal for light sensitivity and glaucoma. Full UVA/UVB protection is a must-have, and you also want to consider a more wrap-around style for light sensitivity.
- Sunglasses for Cataracts – Cataracts or cloudy lenses, can be worsened and even caused by sun exposure. Protecting your eyes from UV rays will slow their development and delay the need for cataract surgery later on. You will need to consider sunglasses that offer 100% UVA/UVB protection if you have cataracts.
- Sunglasses for Skin Protection – Crows feet and wrinkles at the corners of your eyes may result from years of genuine smiles or sun damage. To protect the delicate skin around your eyes, a larger frame and lenses sunglass covering the area from your eyebrows to your cheekbones is recommended. Whatever the shape or design, make sure that it promises 100% UVA/UVB protection.
- Budget – Sunglasses may be an expensive investment, but think of it this way, you are investing none of your most necessary bodily functions, your eyesight. A good quality pair of sunglasses will be more costly. However, there are a few budget options that are just as good.
Features of a Good Sunglasses for Seniors
Here are a few tips on choosing good sunglasses for seniors;
- UVA/UVB Resistant – Look for sunglasses that offer 100% UVA/UVB protection with a UV coated lenses.
- Fit Over Options – Fit Over sunglasses are designed to fit over your prescription glasses.
- Frame and Lenses – A durable frame such as plastic, carbonate or metal is ideal. Lenses can be glass or plastic.
- Polarized – Polarized options reduces reflections of a horizontal surface, and eyestrain in general.
Reviews: The Best Sunglasses for Seniors
Here are some of our most favored brands and models of sunglasses that are ideal for senior persons;
The Fit Over Sunglasses Covers your reading or prescription glasses and protects you from harmful UV rays.
- These are fit over sunglasses that you can use over your prescription eyeglasses.
- They are polarized to protect you against glare and the sun’s rays.
- The style is unisex, so ideal for men and women.
- A yellow night lens is included in the set for nighttime driving.
- There are also side lenses for full and clear viewing and additional protection.
Here we have a pair of quality Ray-Ban brand wayfarer style sunglasses for seniors that are moreover polarized.
- This is a prevalent and fashionable sunglasses model for seniors who do not wear prescription eyeglasses.
- The design is matte black with a wayfarer shape.
- They have large rectangular lenses and a durable plastic frame.
- The lenses ate polarized and UV protectant coated.
The Overalls sunglasses will fit neatly over your glasses and have polarized lenses.
- Another Fit Over design that you can use with your prescription eyeglasses.
- The sunglasses have plastic lenses and a frame with a UV coating on the lenses.
- They are polarized and quite durable.
- The sunglasses come in a brown and tortoise color pattern.
These are large style cover-up sunglasses that fit neatly over your reading glasses.
- These are also cover up sunglasses that will fit over prescription eyeglasses.
- They offer fuller protection and closed wrapping sides.
- The sunglasses ensure excellent UV 400 protection with non-polarized lenses.
- They consist of durable acetate material.
We have these stunning Aviator sunglasses for older men and women from a top brand Ray-Ban.
- A favorite for the more daring senior that does not require prescription eyewear.
- These are aviator style sunglasses that come in different size and color options.
- The frame is a durable metal, and the lenses are glass.
- The lenses are non-polarized and UV coated for 1005 UVA/UVB protection.
This is a stunning set of two Bifocal reading and sunglasses for older ladies from VWE.
- These sunglasses come in a set of two, which is very convenient.
- They are a plastic frame and lenses design available in more colors and size designs.
- The lenses are non-polarized and offer 100% UV protection against UVA/UVB rays.
- They are likewise very lightweight and provide full coverage of your eyes and most of the upper face.
Index Table: Top Rated Sunglasses for Seniors
|1||Fit Over Polarized - Sunglasses for Seniors||Fit Over||98.4|
|2||Ray-Ban Justin - Polarized Sunglasses for Seniors||Ray-Ban||98.2|
|3||Overalls Polarized - Fit Over Sunglasses for Seniors||Overalls||97|
|4||Cover-Ups Black - Fit Over Sunglasses for Seniors||Cover-Ups||97.2|
|5||Ray Ban Aviator - Sunglasses for Seniors||Ray Ban||97|
|6||VWE Two Pair - Reading Sunglasses for Seniors||VWE||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Why Seniors Need Proper Sunglasses
- Criteria for Choosing Sunglasses for Seniors
- Features of a Good Sunglasses for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Sunglasses for Seniors
- Index Table: Top Rated Sunglasses for Seniors