For many ages, cycling is and has continued to be one of the most effective exercise forms for muscle and bone strengthening and cardiovascular health.
That said, cycling is also an excellent exercise for senior persons.
In this article, we look at some of the best indoor stationary bikes for seniors that are ideal and safe to use.
The Benefits of a Stationary Bike for Seniors
There are many benefits to having a Stationary Bike for seniors, here are only a few;
- Safer Than Road Cycling – For older persons that may struggle with balance, a stationary indoor bike is much safer than an outdoor bicycle. There are many hazards such as moving vehicles, slippery and wet surfaces, and cold and wet weather conditions for outdoor cycling, which makes an indoor bike so much safer.
- Interval Training – With a stationary bike, there are varied resistance levels and different programs that you can choose from for high or low-intensity workouts.
- Low Impact Workout – Because it is such a low impact work out, there is less strain on fragile muscles and joints in elderly persons. Yet you will still get an effective and challenging workout altogether.
- Weight Loss – The cardiovascular benefits of riding a stationary bike also helps with burning fat and calories, making it the ideal exercise for elderly persons who have weight issues.
- Stronger Legs and Limbs – Riding a stationary bike strengthens legs and the lower body, making mobility easier for seniors. It also works the muscles in your core, lower back, and glutes.
- Boosts Cardio Fitness – Riding a stationary bike boost your cardiovascular fitness and strengthens your heart.. This, in turn, improves blood pressure, strengthens the immune system, gives your energy, and improves mood by reducing stress and improving sleep patterns.
Types of Stationary Bikes Available
There are generally three different types of stationary bikes that you can consider;
- The Dual Action Bike – The dual action bike is similar to a regular bicycle with handlebars that move back and forth. This bike gives you a full-body workout.
- Recumbent Bike – The Recumbent bike allows you to sit in a reclined position on a larger seat. This type of bike places less strain on your upper body and joints, and the workout is less intense. Thus this is usually the favored stationary bike type for seniors.
- Upright Bike – The Upright Bike is similar to a regular bicycle with the pedals positioned underneath your body. This type of stationary bike provides an excellent cardiovascular workout, as well as strengthening your lower and upper body. Though, the upright position may place excess strain on your hands and wrists.
Features of a Good Stationary Bike for Seniors
- Design – The entire design should be sturdy with a durable and strong frame. Powder coating is used to cover the frame for a better appeal.
- Handles – handles and grip should be ergonomic and comfortable with rubber plastic or metal used. There are Pulse monitors in some models handlebars to track your heart rate.
- Display – An LCD screen or Digital display is used that can show some or all of these; calories Burned;Dsitance;Program;Resistance;Heart rate;progress.
- Pedals – The Pedals need to have a comfortable design and large space with a slip-resistant surface.
- Seat – An adjustable and comfortable cushioned or padded seat is ideal.
- Settings – You should be able to slecet form a few cutsomizable and set programs as well as to set the pace and tension.
Reviews: The Best Stationary Bikes for Seniors
These are some of our top favorite Recumbent, or Stationary Excrcise Bikes that are safe and conveneinet for seniors;
The Marcy Step-through Design Stationary Bike is comfortable and safe to use for seniors.
- The Step-Through Design has heavy-duty construction and powder-coated finish for appeal.
- Eight resistance levels are using magnetic resistance.
- The easy to read computer screen shows progress and levels selected.
- The seat is fully padded for comfort, and the counterbalance pedals provide optimal foot support.
From Sunny Health, we have the Magnetic Fitness Recumbent Bike for seniors.
- The Handlebars are moveable and ergonomic in shape for easy grip.
- There are pulse sensors in the handlebars to track your heart rate and pules.
- The Magnetic resistance allows you to get an effective workout, no matter what your level of fitness.
- The pedals have a non-slip design and are adjustable.
- You can also easily adjust the seat for the right fit.
- The Foldable Bike is easy t store after use to save on space.
- There is an easy to read LCD screen that also monitors your heart rate.
- You can easily use this bike as a desk bike because the height is adjustable, and it has a semi-recumbent design.
- The Bike also supports up to 300lbs in weight.
From Schwinn, we have their 230 Recumbent Bike for seniors.
- There is a dual track two LCD window system for monitoring up to 13 different display feedbacks.
- The 22 programs and two user settings allow for a more personalized experience.
- The 20 resistance levels aligned with a high speed, high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel make your routines quite and smooth.
- There is also a Charging USB port for data exchange and use with your mobile device.
The Nautilus Recumbent bike for seniors comes in three options to select from.
- The bike has enhanced Bluetooth connectivity options so users can monitor and track their progress.
- There is a DaulTrack backlit LCD console for easy viewing.
- The seat is padded and ventilated for cooling comfort as well as adjustable for the perfect fit.
- The bike also has 300lbs maximum user weight.
The Series from Schwinn is another super addition form this brand for seniors.
- There are three Stationary bike options that you can select from.
- The bike allows more advanced Bluetooth connectivity and jas a USB media charging and operating port.
- The Dual Track LCD screen is clear and jas speakers with MP3 input.
- The seat is adjustable;e and p[added for your comfort.
- The design is sturdy and very durable.
Index Table: Top Rated Stationary Bike for Seniors
|1||Marcy ME-709 - Senior’s Stationary Bike||Marcy||98.1|
|2||Sunny Health Fitness Magnetic - Stationary Bike for Senior Persons||Sunny Health||98|
|3||Exerpeutic 400XL Folding - Seniors Stationary Bikes||Exerpeutic||97.3|
|4||Scwinn 230 Recumbent Series - Stationary Bike for Older Persons||Scwinn||97|
|5||Nautilus Recumbent Series - Stationary Bike for Senior Individuals||Nautilus||96.8|
|6||Scwinn Stationary Bike for Seniors - Series||Scwinn||97|
Table of Contents
- The Benefits of a Stationary Bike for Seniors
- Types of Stationary Bikes Available
- Features of a Good Stationary Bike for Seniors
- Reviews: The Best Stationary Bikes for Seniors
- Marcy® ME-709 Senior’s Stationary Bike
- Sunny Health® Fitness Magnetic Stationary Bike for Senior Persons
- Exerpeutic® 400XL Folding Seniors Stationary Bikes
- Scwinn® 230 Recumbent Series Stationary Bike for Older Persons
- Nautilus® Recumbent Series Stationary Bike for Senior Individuals
- Scwinn® Stationary Bike for Seniors Series
- Index Table: Top Rated Stationary Bike for Seniors